In order to assure a correct implementation:
The SmartReFlex project aims at increasing the diffusion of smart and flexible district heating and cooling (DHC) systems, basing on high shares of renewable energy sources (RES), in European cities.
In order to reach this aim, a mixed project consortium was created, including regional authorities, DHC utilities and consultancy partners, which specific high-level skills on RES DHC and on energy planning at local level.
6 regions in 4 countries (DE, IE, IT, ES) will implement legislative and organisational measures for promoting high-RES DHC, also benefitting from the know-how transfer by Denmark. These measures include:
- improvement in regional legislation, supporting the implementation of high-RES DHC;
- integration of high-RES DHC in heat planning at regional and local level;
- creation of cooperatively-owned companies for managing high-RES DHC systems;
- study, planning and supporting of new high-RES DHC projects at local level.
- a regional task force on high-RES DHC will be set up in each participating region;
- an ambitious capacity building activity will be carried out, aiming at involving the key stakeholders in the regions and also at national level: technical staff and city planners from Municipalities, other regional and local authorities in the country, technical and managing staff from DHC utilities, DHC industry, technical designers, cooperative unions, consumer protection associations and the financial sector.
The targeted project results are:
- improved policies at regional and local level for the promotion of RES DHC
- regional task forces with 60 stakeholders actively involved
- high level training seminars
- new systems using high shares of renewable energy sources for district heating and cooling
- replication cases of the SmartReFlex model beyond the project boundaries